Monday, January 10, 2011

Battle of the Bulge

I had been pretty good about keeping my New Year’s resolution to not go to the gym because of my fear of overcrowding. Tonight I went in and there were mad people everywhere, so I came home and rode my bike and did my physical therapy exercises.

This past week I ran into a colleague in the kitchen and she and I struck up a conversation around overweight and weight loss. The Jenny Craig commercials are starting to drive me batty and we were discussing why people want a quick fix for their overweight and how we trick ourselves into thinking fad diets can work. She really is religious (it would seem) in her adherence to her diet. Every time I am in there with her she is mixing salad greens with non-fat cottage cheese and non-fat dressing. I, on the other hand stray from the path. This past Thursday night I made hamburgers and since that didn’t satisfy my craving I made a follow up visit Friday night to the local Five Guys. Ummmm, umm, umm! It was like I died and went to burger heaven! Every delicious bite with extra pickles bursting in my mouth. I heard that as you age, your metabolism slows down and let me tell you, I am not looking forward to that! Saturday, I made pancakes for breakfast and then we made roast leg of pork for dinner. Mr. J got out his marinade and “meat tools” and got his leg of pork worked up to garlicky perfection. I did force myself to bike for 30 minutes on Saturday, but I had taken of Friday and I also took off Sunday. Mr. J. loves watching television, so I have to fight that temptation.

“Come snuggle with me,” he says.

How can I resist that kind of temptation? Another 5 minutes on the bike? I’m not so sure I really care that much. The battle of the bulge, people. I keep fighting it day after day.

1 comment:

  1. I decided I was going to lose 5 pounds in the month of january, but here I am on the 28th, and I am 17 oz less than I was on the first. My theory concludes that late night taco bell runs and tons of fatty foods late at night with friends is to blame.

    ReplyDelete